Monday 27 October 2014

Podolski Press Conference - Transcript | German Arsenal Blog #aha

<<Visit scoutedfootball.com for profiles on the best young talents in world football>>
 
Podolski PC -  May 2nd 2012

Note* I left out questions purely on Köln or the German NT. 

Introduction

„The decision has been made, and I want to stress it again, not against FC Köln but in favour of Arsenal FC. I always knew that I’d either continue my career at Köln for a further couple of years or I’d go to another top club. I had a couple of different offers but they did not really matter to me. As soon as the offer of Arsenal arrived I started to think about my career in football and eventually came to the conclusion that this would be the right path for me.”

Q1 – Lukas: Why is Arsenal such a good fit?

“They wear the same colours as Köln (laughs). No, jokes aside. As I've said before, I had other interesting offers but for me, it had to be a top club and when you look at Arsenal, with a fantastic manager, good environment and there has never been bad press surrounding the club; they are playing attractive football and have a great stadium with great fans. Although I’ve never been there and haven’t looked at anything I think the club is a very good fit for me. Otherwise I would not have made the decision.”

Q2 – Meeting with Arsene Wenger.

“We just spoke on the telephone once and I have not met him yet, that will certainly happen after the Euros. Also, I haven’t seen the stadium or the training facilities yet as the focus has been completely on Köln so far.”

Q3 – Mertesacker's video message

“I am happy to play with someone whom I’ve know for a long time, who speaks German and with whom I get along very well. Therefore I believe he’ll make it easy for me to settle down.”

Q4 – Has he spoken to Mertesacker

“Yes, I asked him a couple of questions about the club, the environment etc.. But at the end of the day, you have to make the decision on your own. You might get some advice, for sure. But he hasn’t helped with the final decision.”

Q5 – About his time in Munich

“In Munich, I maybe was a tad too young. Now, I’m more experienced and have become even better and I’m confident about this move and certain that I will make it there.”

Q6 – Dealing with a new language

“Whenever you go to a new country, the language is a part of that – but I believe football is international. I think my English is good enough and will make it easier for me to fit in.”

Q7 – Contract / time after Arsenal

“I don’t want to discuss any details on my contract. Regarding my future after London, sure, I could imagine to come back and as I’ve said before, the FC (Köln) will always be my club no matter what. I believe it’s important that the club carries on and moves forward when I’m gone. It’s vital for me that they don’t say 'now that Podolski is gone everything is falling apart'. But it’s rather a chance to rebuild, with new chairmen, to move forward and be successful again, something that was promised to me when I arrived. That has to be the aim.”

Q8 – Hopes and dreams with Arsenal

“Undoubtedly, the Arsenal FC is a big name in football, you just have to look back and look at their success. Again, they have an awesome manager, and a great stadium – I’m looking forward to that. The goal has to be to win titles over the next years. That’s a given when you go to a big club. The English league is very good and competitive and every year six or seven clubs are challenging. Hence it’s a chance and a great motivation to make another step forward."





3 comments:

  1. Thanks alot for the transcrift, very interesting and a great read :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to read your article! I am looking forward to sharing your adventures and experiences. german transcription services

    ReplyDelete